Monday, June 1, 2009

The First Post

It is said that when writing a screenplay, one should start on the day that everything changes. So it is with this blog - today is the day that I leave my corporate job, I stop working for someone else and start working for myself.

A couple of years ago, while speaking to a civic group in Seattle, I was asked what is the secret of my success. (Success is of course relative - I have had the privilege to know and work with some very successful people next to whom my accomplishments seem very modest.) I suspect they wanted something like "write down your goals", or "always call people back the same day", and I may have disappointed them with my answer - take risks and throw away your plans when something better comes along.

So it has been with my career to date. I have a degree in Computer Science from Imperial College London (my dad asked at the time: "Do you think there's a future in this computer business?"), and I have had four jobs since: Accenture, Diamond (an Accenture-like consulting company), Microsoft and Google. Each of these transitions was more like turning off the highway to investigate an interesting neon-sign, than following the the directions on a map to a known destination.

Statistically speaking leaving Google to start a company is crazy, doubly so in the middle a recession. But there are a couple of things that separate very successful people from us ordinary folks: a propensity to take risks and a high estimation of their own abilities. Other things help: being very smart; good timing; good partners; access to capital; etc. etc., but risk taking and faith in yourself mark these people out as different to the rest of us.

Or should I say the rest of you ;-)

Today is the day for taking risks and having faith in myself.

9 comments:

  1. Peter, I enjoyed reading this and look forward to following your thoughts here. Best to you as you move on and go forward. - @ron

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a courageous and generous man. This is only the inciting incident in the screenplay of your life and I am looking forward to the rest. I will be following your successes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too have taken the diversion road, focusing on risk, reaping great reward. You are on the right path. I share this quote anytime someone leaves the comfortable to the unknown:
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    -- Andre Gide quote (French writer, humanist and moralist, 1947 nobel prize for literature, 1869-1951)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck Peter! Keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peter, good luck with everything! Here is a great article on 14 businesses that were started in a recession.

    http://www.insidecrm.com/features/businesses-started-slump-111108/

    Also, my favorite inspirational quote.

    Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait to hear about the new business. Does it involve guitars?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, so I've subscribed. Just make sure that you keep posting :-)

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! Although you will be missed I cannot wait to see what's next for you. I fully agree w/you - taking risks is what it's all about. Keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know how else to contact you to let you know that I really enjoyed your Ignite speech. I don't use Twitter, and I couldn't find an email address.

    I was really impressed by your presentation, it was smooth, insightful, funny and all around memorable. Most importantly I feel like I learned something. So thank you, and kudos to you.

    Best of luck on your new venture.

    ReplyDelete